Gay Phuket and Nightlife
1. The Boat Bar has been the cornerstone of the gay community in Phuket for decades, staying fresh and exciting with occasional refurbishments. It features a professional twice-nightly cabaret show as well as a live DJ who keeps the dance floor busy with cool and funky sounds. The quality of the club is so high that it attracts men and women, straight and gay – particularly younger, sophisticated international visitors.
Tel: +66 (0)76 341 237
2. My Way One of the oldest establishments in the Paradise Complex, My Way brought the cabaret entertainment of Bangkok’s gay scene to Phuket with 3 great shows every night. It’s also a high-quality go-go bar. The outside terrace is a good place to enjoy a few drinks and cool down between shows, as well as helping to make it one of the more popular venues in the area, attracting a mixed crowd.
Tel:+66 (0)81 978 4172
3. Connect Guesthouse Already a popular guesthouse for gay visitors to Patong due to its location right in the middle of the Paradise Complex, Connect’s Bar is also a popular place for a chilled-out evening. The restaurant serves inexpensive Thai and western food and is open well into the night, with special buffet nights on Thursdays and Sundays. Run by a long-term Swedish expat, Connect Guesthouse organises ‘Gay Day Tours’ every Saturday, giving you a chance to mingle with new friends in the beautiful surroundings of Phang Nga Bay.
Tel:+66 (0)76 294 195
4. Aquarius Guesthouse Beginning as a small guesthouse in 2003, Aquarius has come a long way. It features renovated guestrooms, a gay sauna and a bar/restaurant. The bar’s open all day, and the sauna is free for the guesthouse’s clients but non-guests are welcome for a fee. The sauna is busiest between 5pm and 8pm. Other facilities include a gym, massage service and a pool that’s open 24 hours.
Tel: +66 (0)76 341 668
5. Passport Pub Quite a modest little gay lounge bar right by the entrance to the Paradise Complex, Passport Pub’s frontage gives it the look of a lost jungle temple. Inside, you’ll find a couple of small stages. Despite its small size and simplicity, its discreet design and friendly service make it an established favourite.
Tel:+66 (0)76 344 366
6. Zag Club The most dramatic and fun of the gay go-go bars in Phuket, ZAG Club features special shows, events and happy hours. It’s also a dance club, with great music creating a fun and lively atmosphere. Finally, as with many of the places in the Paradise Complex, it has an outdoor terrace for enjoying a quiet drink and watching the free street cabaret performance.
Tel: +66 (0)81 561 9114
7. James Dean and Friends A modest host bar located near to the entrance of Paradise Complex, James Dean and Friends is noted for its very friendly hosts. They attract a mixed crowd, ma king it a fun and lively place, in spite of being one of the smallest venues on the street. It offers a good view of the street entertainments of the larger venues further down the road and, while it doesn’t supply similar shows itself, it justly deserves its place among the list of the best gay bars in Phuket for its unique atmosphere, built over the many years of its existence.
Tel: +66 (0)87 472 8726